Tuesday, March 1, 2016

February {2016}

The plague hit our house this month. Brett started with a runny nose during the day and stuffy nose at night with a cough, and Blake soon followed with the same. Chris ended up having to go out of town for work for a week, and Mimi offered to come help with the boys while he was gone (which was wonderful) especially since I ended up getting a sore throat, stuffy/runny nose, fever, body aches, and eventually cough right after he left. A day or 2 after my symptoms started, poor Mimi came down with a fever and lost her voice just in time to head home. She's still sick 3 weeks later too! I ended up going on meds and my cough is finally gone. Poor Chris got back from his trip and, not surprisingly, came down with everything that I got but 5-6 days delayed. We're all finally feeling better and hope to not get a sickness that bad again anytime soon.

This month Brett:
  • has been making a lot of growling (roar) sounds. I think it started with learning the sound that Lions make, but he will practice it at random times throughout the day and it's pretty hilarious because it sounds like he's possessed. 
  • acts like he's counting (either pointing to objects or counting on his fingers) and counts one over and over because that's the only number he can say. I've been counting to 10 with him all the time and he loves it. I'll count on my fingers and he loves to try and imitate me but he either holds up 1 finger or 10 and just shakes his hands for each number.
  • got 4 new teeth! His upper and lower eye teeth have finally popped through but they're coming in really slowly. I'm not sure if he's sleeping any better now that they're in or not. I know it's still a nightmare trying to brush his teeth, so no improvement there after getting the new teeth in.
  • has moved to 1 nap a day and sometimes will even have the same nap schedule as Blake. He used to fall asleep in the car on the way home from taking Blake to school sometimes, and sometimes he'd at least wait until after we ran a quick morning errand. Now he's holding out and only falls asleep sometimes when we go to pick Blake up from school. Most recently he's been able to hold out until Blake is ready for a nap around 2/2:30PM which is nice because I can nap with them haha.
  • can't resist climbing on the kitchen chairs ALL THE TIME. This one is driving me crazy. Blake always pulls over a kitchen chair to help me make food or do dishes or anything up high. Since Brett can't see either, he'll either climb up on the chair with Blake and they'll fight until one goes and gets another chair or he'll just go and grab a second chair before the other scenario begins. He'll even go grab a chair and start pushing it toward the counters if he wants to see what I'm cooking (and help me) or just so he can mess with the 378 things I have lying on the counter because I didn't have time to put them away because I was fighting with a 1-year old about putting the chair back at the kitchen table. We've tried to figure out how to keep him from moving the chairs and the only thing we've come up with so far is to tie the chairs to the table. Well all I had to tie them with was yarn and within 1 hour both boys were under the table trying to wrap the yarn around their necks so that didn't work. Any suggestions?? They both have to be right there with me as I'm making food all the time too, and art can distract them for a short time but everything requires my help or attention within 2-3 minutes.
  • is starting to learn some letters. He knows O for sure, and sometimes knows S and W. It's totally random but he's showing interest in the alphabet for sure and he loves the ABC song.
  • got registered for 2 year old preschool for next year. We signed him up for 3-day 2's so he'll be going to Blake's school on MWF with him so maybe I'll be able to finally take care of some things at home!
  • is obsessed with crossing the street. One day he just decided he didn't want to wait for anyone's hand to cross the street and he just wandered out there by himself. Once he realized how upset I was over it, he decided he wanted to do it over and over again because he was overjoyed with such a huge response. After trying and trying to discipline him to no avail, I've started trying to teach him to at least look both ways and make sure no cars are coming. That has at least slowed his curiosity and he hasn't tried to cross on his own in a while.
  • is so so ornery. He loves getting reactions from everyone and he has gotten really good at pushing people's buttons. He's decided he wants everything he can't have and he doesn't want to do anything he's supposed to. I try and give him as much say as I can with everything in his life that might matter (choosing clothes, if he wants to walk or be carried, what food to eat).
  • very much dislikes the air curtain when you walk into Walmart. He just decided one day that he'd act terrified of it and now he won't let us go under it unless I'm shielding him from it.
  • is obsessed with the "blah" video as he calls it. It is a Baby Einstein video for babies with lots of Mozart music and simple images and things in motion and there is a hand puppet dragon that spits his tongue out and says "blah" and the boys think it is hilarious. Brett wants to watch the dragon part over and over so he just keeps saying "again, again, again...".

This month Blake:

  • quotes: (To Brett who was sick for so long) "Come give me a hug you big snotty baby." "Every few days I water the grass so the soil can grow."
  • has been requesting to sleep without a diaper at night. He has been waking up with dry diapers for the past few months so I told him when he turned 4 he could try sleeping in his underwear. A week or so before his birthday he told me he was ready. We've had a few mishaps but he's doing pretty well so far.
  • started a new medicine to try to help with his eczema. His teacher at school has a daughter with eczema and ever since she went on this medicine, Atarax, her eczema has been gone. I decided to ask the allergist about it the last time we were there and he said he thought it was a great idea. The plan was to start him on a small dose before bed and would increase it until he stopped scratching. The problem has been that the medicine is supposed to last about 12 hours and he still has things that bother him during the day so we're not sure how we're supposed to proceed. The allergist said once we found the dosage that worked, that we'd start him taking it in the mornings too but when I called for one of my weekly check-ins they decided to pass me off to our dermatologist and told me that he would have to take over the care of this. It was a battle to get Blake to start taking it, but after finding the right flavor, he actually reminds me that it's time for his medicine every night (he looks forward to it). So we have still been doing his medicine at night for now and overall it does seem to be making a difference. 
  • picked out a new bed. Since Brett is outgrowing his portable crib, it is time for Blake to pass his bed down to Brett. We decided, that instead of getting a new toddler bed for Blake that he'd soon outgrow, it was time to get him a twin bed but put it on a bunky-board instead of a box spring that would be too tall.
  • has started carrying an epi-pen with him everywhere he goes. After getting a blood test to determine which peanut protein(s) he was allergic to, the allergist said we needed to have a 2-pack with him at all times. Apparently he has antibodies to a certain protein that people who have an anaphlactic reaction to peanuts have.
  • went back to the cardiologist for a follow up on the murmur the pediatrician heard at his last well visit. After hearing the murmur and then looking on the ultrasound machine for at least 20 minutes, it was determined that the murmur can be heard but there is no visible hole in his heart. The place that it was detected back when he was a few months old has closed or it is so small that it shouldn't be cause for concern. Apparently healthy hearts can have a murmur and they don't know why, but it appears that we have no reason to worry about anything from here on out, woohoo!
Pics:

This kid is 100% monkey see, monkey do.


This is the arts and crafts table (I mean kitchen table) every morning before breakfast. Blake can't get enough, and as always, Brett has to keep up.


Snuggling in the rocking chair which is starting to squeak so much from constant use. (I'm so glad we ended up getting this comfy rocker as opposed to a standard glider though.)


The boys love their new art easel from their cousins Vernon and Everette.


Brett had to take notes so he could have his turn next.



And as with most things, he watched closely and had it mastered as soon as he started. This kid is pretty amazing. He truly must believe he is 4 just like his brother.


Other than a little paint in his hair he did great.


Blake's valentines for his classmates. He picked them out himself and was so proud to give everyone stencils.


I found a spot on our niche for my new artwork!


I can't get enough of these beautiful deep green eyes.


Neither can Brett apparently. They must be touching and snuggling or fighting all the time. Boys are so physical.


Giving me his best model pose.


I saw something like this on Pinterest and decided to put a new heart on Blake's door each day of February until Valentines Day. He loved getting to read the new positive things about himself each day.


We made some pineapple fruit snacks that were pretty amazing. All I could get away from Brett were these 3. He devoured the other 100 or so.


More snuggling. =)


Blake wanted his picture taken with Brett and I couldn't decide which one I liked best.





Blake: "Brett can you just sit here and snuggle with me?"


I finally found something that will entertain Brett for longer than 1 minute without being in my lap!!




Getting to use the big press like big brother.


More snuggling as Brett requested to lie next to Blake and have the covers pulled up. As always, they exhaust me but can be so adorable. I'm so glad they have each other. =)


He did not want the camera in his face but this boy is going to be a heart breaker with those eyes. =)


Blake was determined to make a craft out of all the old tissue boxes around the house. We decided to make Easter baskets. Ok maybe just generic baskets, but the boys had fun.


Serious faces.


Silly faces.


And Blake decorated the bottom with shells from the beach... interesting side to choose, but it was certainly creative.


The party hats that we decorated for Blake's birthday party.


I think he made a wish out loud that he wanted a car. I forgot to explain to him that he had to make a quiet wish. But I do need to follow up on the car thing...


Yay, all air and no spit this year!



Videos:















No comments:

Post a Comment