For Brett's 5th birthday, we had a Minecraft themed party since he is completely obsessed with Minecraft. Instead of playing video games (we did squeeze in a few minutes at the end of the party) we brought as much of it to real life as we could. There were so many fun activities and the kids all had a blast!
Decorations
To welcome our guests we had a sign on the door that is the same kind of sign that you can make in Minecraft with the same font.
Then inside I made a huge creeper face out of different colored napkins to hang on the wall under a "Happy Birthday" sign.
We also created a big "Nether Portal" out of streamers which was a big hit with the kiddos.
The goody bags were creeper and TNT blocks. The kids kept their crafts and goodies in them throughout the party.
Our dining room table, which we normally call the craft room, was an actual crafting table from Minecraft (this is the table where you make all your tools, items, etc.).
I found this awesome table cover with all the different ores you can mine, so it was a great reference.
Creeper Targets
The first activity we did to get everyone geared up for the party was some target practice. The boys spent a good bit of time creating creeper targets and sticking them on cardboard boxes. Then everyone was free to choose a nerf weapon (guns, crossbows, bows) from the bin and try and knock over the box. I also had a few extra creeper faces printed off and taped onto the other big structure in the room for additional targets.
Torch Crafting
Then we moved onto our first craft which was to assemble Minecraft torches. I printed and cut out the torches on paper stock and the kids had to tape them into the right shape and attach the LED tea lights to the inside of the lid so they lit up like actual torches.
Torch Search
Then everyone took their torches up to one of the bedroom/bathrooms upstairs where I had hidden different sticky notes around the room. Each kid had a different color "crafting menu" paper, and 5 sticky notes of the same color had to be found around the room with the use of their torch. We closed the blackout shades so it was crazy dark in there. Each sticky note corresponded to an item on their crafting menu paper so they could stick it on top. The recipe was for a diamond pickaxe, which was the next item that we made.
Pickaxe Crafting
Our next craft was to actually make the pickaxes that we had just found all the "ingredients" for. I pre-cut all the shapes out of white foam board, and images for the diamond pickaxes. Then the kids glued the pictures onto both sides of the foam board.
Oh hey Abby!
Egg Hunt
The next activity was a good old fashioned egg hunt. We went back upstairs, this time to the playroom, where I had hidden all the eggs. Each kid had to find 4 eggs of the same color that they were assigned in the previous hunt (so that everyone had the same amount). They were filled with candy and other treats.
Sword Crafting
Then we went back down to the crafting table for our last craft, diamond swords. This was basically the same as the pickaxes, but I went with black foam board since it seemed to match better.
Balloon Popping
After the swords were completed, we went to the "combat room". I had filled a bunch of balloons with little blue gems (to represent lapis lazuli from Minecraft) and there was one balloon with a special white diamond. The kids took turns, 2 at a time, and I firmly stuck a toothpick in the end of their foam sword so they could pop 6 balloons each. I forgot to get a picture of them beforehand, but they were just standard green balloons.
A few group photos of our Minecrafters.
Minecraft Themed Food and Brewing Stand
First we did a "brewing stand" where everyone was able to mix their own potion. Everyone got a small water bottle and got to add in a little squirt of those Mio water flavor enhancers. They got to choose from Orange, Fruit Punch, Blueberry Lemonade, or any combination of the three. I originally thought we would trade in our lapis stones for drinks, but it all happened too quickly. The kids loved getting to choose their own "potions" or drink flavors.
The rest of the snacks were things that you can find in Minecraft. Fish (goldfish), potatoes (pop chips), sticks (pretzel sticks), lava (cheese blocks), and carrots.
Creeper Cake
After snacks, we had cake and homemade ice cream sundaes sine the birthday boy loves his sugar. This was my first square cake, but of course Brett wanted a creeper face. I love how it turned out!
Brett wanted to be in charge of placing the candles of course.
One last picture of the boys and me with our Minecraft shirts on after everyone had left. It was an epic party and I think Blake decided he wants one just like it next year.












No comments:
Post a Comment