Saturday, September 3, 2016

August {2016}

This month Brett:

  • started school. The first drop off wasn't too bad because he had no clue what was going on. But overall the first week had a lot of tears and he wouldn't let the teachers change his diaper the first 2 days. He always said he had a good time at school when I would ask him about it, but he apparently asked for me a lot throughout the morning. We read a few books everyday leading up to it to get him familiar with what was going to happen but he clearly didn't fully understand.
  • says things like "now" with a southern accent. It sounds more like nay-ow and it's hiliarious because Blake went through the same phase. It's really pretty cute.
  • is a complete sugar monster. All he wants to eat are fruit pouches (he does like the ones with sweet potatoes at least), cookies, apple juice, grape juice, and cheese (which he really shouldn't be eating but the kid won't eat anything and he's in the worst mood when he's hungry).
  • counts to 12. We got a book from the library about counting from 1-5 and that's what it took for him to finally start doing it correctly. He was about to go from 6-10 with no problem and then out of nowhere he started adding in 11, 12, and sometimes 13.
  • sings the ABC song correctly. Most of the time it takes a little prompting when he wants to skip the standard middle part but it just takes a letter or 2 of help to get him back on the right track. He also sings twinkle twinkle little star and he does a really good job of that one. I'm guessing he learned it at school because we don't sing it all that much at home unless he picked it up from the nursery rhymes we watch on YouTube.
  • is fruit pouch crazy. In the mornings he yells at Chris to come into the kitchen (to help open them) and he proceeds to grab a ton of pouches and lines them up on the kitchen table. He'll grab 7 or 8 most mornings and he'll freak out if he doesn't get to eat all of them. I try and distract him so I can put at least 3 of them back in the pantry because that is just ridiculous. 
  • has been leaving out the beginning of words that begin with an S and a consonant. Skip is ip, squeeze is eeze, school is ool. It took me a while to figure out this pattern but now it helps when he says a weird word that I wouldn't have been able to figure out otherwise.
  • slept in his own bed until 7 a couple of mornings. Wish I knew what happened because most nights around 2AM he ends up in bed with me because I don't have the energy to rock him or convince he to go back to sleep on his own.
  • quotes: "this guy" "bye bye, see ya later"


This month Blake:

  • loves shower/baths. All summer we've been taking our shower together after the pool or beach because it is just so much easier to clean all 3 of us at the same time. I'll plug the drain and then give the boys a shower with the shower head that comes off the wall. Then they play around in the bath water while I take my shower. It gets a little hectic sometimes but it's great to get us all clean at the same time and then I don't have to spend my time showering after they go to bed. Win win!
  • is obsessed with candy crush and candy crush soda. I'm not sure how it started but Candy Crush got installed on one of the Kindles and Blake convinced me to start playing it one day. Then once he figured out how it worked, he insisted that we spend our Mommy/Blake time (while Brett naps) playing this game. I am now obsessed too... When you beat 15 levels (an Episode) it makes you wait 3 days before you can play again (or you can swipe your credit card) OR you can download another one of their games called Candy Crush Soda. You can't get it on the Kindles because it isn't included in the Amazon FreeTime that the boys have, so we got it on my phone and Blake likes it even more than Candy Crush. He actually helps me see things while we're playing that I didn't even see. 
  • started school. He is in VPK now and it seems to be more structured than school was last year. He doesn't do hardly any art, but he seems to like the science station. The playground has been especially tricky for him this year because he really wants to fit in. He told me the boys play super heros and they punch each other to play fight. He says he really gets hurt but won't tell the teachers (even though I did tell them) because he wants the other kids to play with him and like him. How is it possible to have these problems at 4 years old?! 
  • does a lot of punching at home and has taught Brett to do it. I guess it doesn't matter if a school is nice or not, boys will be boys and it's unfortunate that both of them are being exposed to it at school.
  • wants to try new foods. He's had such a restricted diet and he has found that to be comforting for a long time. Now he seems to want to try some of the foods he's never cared about or said he didn't like (even though he hasn't tried it). I'm glad he's open to trying more things even though new fruits and veggies don't appear on that list much. Hopefully we'll start a garden next year and he'll be open to trying things that he helps grow.
  • quotes: "I love you to the sun, the moon, and outer space and back"
Pics:

We went out for a quick photo shoot during our last week of summer. It was crazy hot as to be expected.


It's hard to get Brett to cooperate and not do the "cheese" smile.





Maybe the best one of both of them together?


My Bretters.



Gosh I can't believe how big Blake is getting.


Close ups of these beautiful boys. 



My boys all lounging on the couch.


Brett trying to wear lots of jewelry like Mommy. I love the earring.


First day of VPK for this big boy.


Eating breakfast together, in the same chair, watching some tv.


The first day of 2 year old preschool for this big boy!


Brett reading to his Bubba.



Goodbye "dumb deck" as we've called it for years, and hello beautiful atrium oasis!



Videos:







No comments:

Post a Comment