Saturday, May 8, 2021

Winter {2020}

The automated emails that let you know when I post a new blog are being discontinued. I'll have to see if there is another way to let you guys know, but at the moment you'll just have to check back every so often.

During the winter months we were starting to get in a groove with remote learning, but at the same time, the boys were really starting to need being around kids their own ages. With the decision to go back to school for second semester made, we worked at it and figured out the best masks for each of the boys to wear when they went back to school. We were really worried about having their masks behind their ears because of so many kids having their ears pulled on all day and getting bent out of shape. Blake went with a softer fabric and a thicker elastic band behind his head, and Brett decided that he liked the more firm (scratchy fabric as he called it) with a thinner elastic that worked behind his head. Thankfully I found a good pattern online that was much more comfortable for the boys and I, and I could make each of us a different size that fits really nicely. 

This winter brought us quite a bit of snow so we had numerous opportunities to go sledding in our front yard, and at the big hill at Voice of America Metropark. We invested in thermal underwear for Blake and he made his very own scarf on the sewing machine, so he was much warmer this winter than last.

Pics:

Brett wanted to celebrate his half-birthday on his morning meeting zoom call so I made him a hat and he really took his time coloring it just the way he liked.


We had our yearly family photos taken and these were the keepers.







And of course one to remember the "year of the mask".




A couple days before the "great conjunction" of Jupiter and Saturn. We had a nice clear night so I thought I'd get a photo before their closest point. It was good that I did because on the night of December 21, I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to get a photo before the clouds rolled in and covered the sky completely. The larger star on the bottom is Jupiter, and I think you can even see one of it's moons to the lower right. 4 moons were visible through the telescope!


Using our own homemade royal icing to hold our gingerbread houses together. Whatever came with the kit didn't hold anything together.



Brett put as many decorations on as he could get to stay.


And Blake was meticulous and chose only the decorations that he felt were needed.


Some close-ups of the final products.




Our Thankful tree from the month of November. The boys and I tried to add a leaf and write something we were thankful for each day, but we didn't make it the whole month.


The night after the "great conjunction" I think. 


Christmas cookie decorating.



Brett's final products.




And Blake's.


The countdown is almost done, only the star (which gets added on Christmas day) to go!


Christmas morning.


Videos:







No comments:

Post a Comment