Thursday, August 4, 2016

July {2016}

This month Brett:

  • was obsessed with Baby Georgia on the tv show Creative Galaxy. He would always point out when Baby Georgia was crying and when she was happy and every time she appeared on screen basically. He has been very in tune with babies. I make sure to tell him to get his fix while we're out and about because that's the only time he'll get to see them.
  • draws ovals. He started out drawing on the magna-doodle and he would draw big shapes and then end back where he started (so basically a closed circle type shape that looked more like an oval). He would draw them over and over and ask each time what his shape looked like. He loved that he drew something that looked like a real object like a fish, or like a real shape like an oval.
  • sings the bye bye song from MyGym. After he finishes whatever he's doing in the playroom, he'll set it down and go over to the card table next to the playroom and rub his hands on it real quick and then start singing the bye bye song and waving goodbye with both hands. So cute.
  • sings the ABC song and knows all his letters. Right now he sings the ABC song really well but he leaves out J-M. A-H and N-Z are very good and easy to understand and he even sings the part at the end even though it isn't quite right. He's getting really good with singing songs though.
  • counts to 10 kind of. He was doing really well counting 6-10 and then he worked up to 1-4 but he always skips 5 and then started skipping 4 and 5, and now sometimes he'll skip 3-5. I'm not sure how many more times it will take for him to get back on track, haha.
  • has had his hand in his mouth a ton and finally had his bottom 2 year old molars just pop through. He had quite a few days this month where he had trouble going to sleep without medicine whether it be bed at night or, more often, naps.
  • loves to watch The Wheels on the Bus on YouTube. Mimi used to play the videos for Blake when he was younger and now Brett has almost completely forgotten about Mighty Machines. He requests that we play it on the Roku every time he wants to watch the tv. The Little Baby Bum channel is his favorite.
  • adds an extra plural ending to words. He finds his shoes-es, and has to wash his hands-es, etc. I think Blake went through this phase too.
  • loves to talk about poop. When mentioning everyone in the family he includes poop as a member. For example, I'll ask Brett who is going to go to the beach with me and if he wants to do something he'll say "Brett too" then he'll add "Mommy too, Bubba too, Daddy too, poo-poo too (evil smile and laughter)". This happens for anything. So random.
  • always wants to watch videos on my phone. If he so much as sees my phone he requests at the top of his lungs that he wants to watch VI-DE-OS. And he will ask over and over, all day long. He loves watching videos of himself and Blake.

This month Blake:

  • loves picking Brett up. He'll give him a big bear hug and try and lift poor Brett up off the floor. It only took a couple times to realize that this is a terrible idea and he was dropped on the tile a couple times. 
  • still loves to "cook" all his toys. Any new container that appears in the house has to be filled with toys and sent to cook in the furnace or whatever new term he comes up with. He tries to get Brett to play this game with him but Brett would rather dump things out than clean things up into a container.
  • enjoys swimming at the beach now. Ever since he got in the pool this summer, he decided he wanted to venture out in the water at the beach. We found this spot at Honeymoon Island that has a seawall to break the waves and there is a nice calm area where he can swim around with his puddle jumper and the waves are nice and gentle. It's great that he finally loves coming out in the water with me! Hopefully Brett will learn to like it soon as well.
  • got impetigo. He had a couple strange welts appear on his face and one on his wrist all within a day or 2 so we decided to get it looked at and apparently it is very common for eczema kids to get. Since they're always scratching at their weak/damaged skin, it is easy to introduce bacteria and once the outbreak starts you have to get it under control quickly because it is super contagious. Luckily once we got started treating it, we were able to keep it under control for the most part with topical antibiotic cream and bandaids. Poor boy had to have his bandaids changed out 3 times a day but he did so great getting used to the routine. It took a couple weeks but all his spots are healed except one next to his ear is still taking a while to get back to normal.
  • had a week or 2 where he wanted 2 sandwiches for lunch. He must have gone through a growth spurt because he normally eats a Sunbutter and Jelly sandwich, then has a cookie and sometimes a few potato chips, but for about a week he asked for (and finished) an additional sandwich after his cookie. 
  • learned how to use sarcasm. I had to explain to him about my use of sarcasm and how sometimes if I say something with a funny tone in my voice, that I actually mean the opposite. Well, he took the challenge to start adding in sarcasm to his comments and has gotten quite good at it. His use of language never ceases to amaze Chris and I. He gets comments all the time about how well spoken he is and people find it hard to believe he is just 4 by his conversational skills. Sometimes I even forget that I'm talking to a 4 year old and just talk to him like his 12 or something. He either understands me or just goes with it until he can't figure out something and asks about it later. He also never forgets anything... he has the most incredible memory ever. We've started telling him to remind us things so we don't have to remember them ourselves.
  • watches Chris play the Lego Indiana Jones game on the Playstation. Little Big Planet was getting a little old so Chris borrowed a new game from one of his friends and they've already gotten many hours of enjoyment from it. Blake mainly watches and offers advice about how to win certain parts of the game and of course he's always great at remembering where things are and how to advance in certain levels if Chris forgets.
  • started drawing more real pictures instead of just abstract. One day he decided he wanted to make a sky and flowers and grass and it was amazing. He gets the whole plan for his picture in his head and then he just does it. Whether it is painting or ink stamping or just coloring with crayons, he is really creative and always knows just what he wants to do. I really enjoy seeing his ideas come to life and it's fun getting to do art with him! He also has started doing this cool doodle thing where he goes around dots all over the page.
Pics:
Taking our yearly 4th of July picture. This year was exceptionally hot and humid.


Instead of flags we went with pinwheels.


I got a chance to go out and take some lightning pictures after the boys went to bed. There was an incredible storm heading our way and I finally figured out a spot where I could see without street lights and trees blocking my view. I went out on the Dunedin Causeway and it was the perfect spot to watch this storm heading west. I was so excited to get such amazing lightning pics on my first real storm hunting expedition! As the storm got closer, I got sand blasted pretty good, so that was the main downside to the beach location. I'm hooked though, and I can't wait to get out and take more night lighting photos!




Then a couple days later, there were more storms moving in so I took Blake with me while Brett napped at home with Chris. Blake was more of a distraction than a helper once he realized how boring it actually was, but I was so excited to get a photo of one of the 3 flashes of lightning we saw in the hour we were out there. There were actually 3 lightning strikes at the same time but my camera was only able to get 2 of them. Still a really cool photo!


These were the beautiful clouds as that storm above was heading toward us.


One more attempt, but no lightning, just pretty clouds. (I'm obsessed with clouds, and so glad to be able to live here and enjoy them daily.)


Brett's first box fort. I used to make them a lot when Blake was little but hadn't thought about it in a while. Brett wanted to bring all his stuffed animals and books in it every time we moved it to a different room.


Some brotherly love. I couldn't pick just 1.




Blake reading to Brett. So sweet!



And Brett, being crazy as always.


Hanging up some hangars because, well, because he can.


My little artist. I love that he makes art with flowers and sky and the sun and butterflies. It's just so cute and I want to save all his art now.


And Brett trying to put so much paint on the paper that it rips.


Blake tracing his numbers.


And cookie making time because it's fun.


Brett LOVES making cookies and asks about it all the time.


Um Brett, are you sneaking some sprinkles before they get cooked?


Both of them with their tongues hanging out because this takes lots of concentration.


Same location, new activity. Brett's first finger painting adventure.


Such excitement.




Our new train set. I think I have more fun setting up the tracks than they do playing with it. I guess I'm making up for wanting one of these when I was little.



Videos:







No comments:

Post a Comment