Friday, November 22, 2013

Blake is Going to be a Big Brother!

We have our second baby on the way! Many of you may have found out already from our Facebook picture a few days ago. I think Blake will do great with a sibling since he is such a together person. And thankfully he is a really sensitive soul with some crazy boy in him so we're hoping he'll be a great big brother to either a brother or a sister. 



I've been keeping a weekly log of everything that happened in the first trimester and also some weekly belly pics to watch the baby grow. It does seem like things are happening earlier this time which I was expecting as far as how fast my belly would grow but I can't say I expected all the morning sickness to start earlier as well. I apologize ahead of time for all the past/present tenses being all messed up... I didn't feel like going back and fixing it.


Week 5:

This week there wasn't much to report other than some major tummy bubbles and bloating as things prepared to move around in there. Sadly I can't say that my nausea held off for much longer.

Week 6:

I started getting waves of morning sickness much earlier this pregnancy and unfortunately it isn't nearly as much fun with a toddler who has lots of energy and needs constant attention. The food cravings this week were mostly starches and sugars, like I had with Blake.

Week 7:

This week the full blown morning sickness arrived and I was feeling pretty rough all day long. Blake was going through some major picky eating as well and one of the foods I can always count on him to eat is bacon... let me tell you this was not an easy one to deal with since the smell is so intense and seems to linger on everything. I had a ton of food aversions in addition to the bacon and it was a long week to get through. I basically wanted to just sleep constantly to get through it. I did get some relief from the Preggie Pop Drops that my sister told me about when she was pregnant so that was a help at least. This week also brought on a ton of exhaustion and I'm so grateful that I was able to take a nap with Blake everyday. I'm not sure how I would've gotten through the day without them. Oh and the last thing that hit me hard was being super thirsty. I remember being thirsty when I was pregnant with Blake but it seems so much more intense this time... although I know it's pretty hard to compare.



Week 8:

The food aversions continued this week and pretty much anything heated up in the house smelled awful to me. I ate a lot of salads and we ended up eating takeout a lot since I didn't have to smell the cooking food if someone else prepared it for me. Since I continued to be really thirsty all the time, wet foods seemed to sound the best to me: salads and chicken/veggie soup in the crockpot held me over for most of the week. The morning sickness didn't let up either as I went for another week of wanting to just sleep and let the time pass.

I started feeling some lower back muscle spasms and round ligament pains this week which seemed awful early but I also am lifting a 25lb toddler around all the time and maybe my muscles were just yelling at me for lifting him so much and letting him climb on me like the jungle gym he thinks I am.

The headaches from blurry vision started much earlier this time too. With Blake, they didn't start until week 12 and this time they have caused me almost more discomfort than the nausea. I was having trouble reading to Blake and even watching tv in the evenings (to relax?) since it would cause me such headaches from attempting to focus my eyes.

I also went to the doctor for my first prenatal checkup and got to see the little kidney bean on the ultrasound. The heartbeat was strong at 162bpm.



Week 9:

This week was more of the same, exhaustion, only wanting cold or juicy foods, and lots of blurry vision headaches. Because of this I was quite unmotivated and pretty much everything in the house turned into a big wreck. Poor Chris would get home from work and wonder what I did all day... apparently convincing him that I tried to feed Blake, nap, and not throw up didn't seem like much to him.

It is crazy how much bigger my belly is in the evenings after a day of eating and drinking tons of water. I'm trying to take the pics in the morning so it makes me not feel so huge already.




Week 10:

This week the headaches continued pretty strong but on the bright side, my sickness started to come in waves instead of being constant which was a nice relief. The mornings were a bit better for the most part but the evenings were still pretty rough.

We got a new water filter pitcher for the fridge which has made it much easier to quench my thirst since the water from the Pur filter is so much better than my old Brita was. I had no idea how different they were. Maybe it's all the water I drink throughout the day, and maybe it's all the food I eat (I eat every 3 hours or so) but I am already into maternity pants. I have all these maternity clothes for work but they just aren't comfy enough for chasing around a toddler at the playground or MyGym so I ended up having to get a couple new pairs of yoga pants with room to grow in the belly. They are so much better!




Week 11:

I still think it's strange that nasal congestion is a pregnancy symptom. It makes me feel really bad for people that have trouble breathing on a normal basis, especially when trying to fall asleep at night. I guess that is partly to blame for me having such a hard time catching my breath lately. Before I put Blake to bed at night, we read a few books in his glider and even though we sit side by side (it's a snug fit!), I end up completely out of breath by the time I've finished reading. With a little person there is so much leaning over and bending down, and bath time has started to cause me heartburn in the evenings. I guess it's from leaning over the tub and sitting in my weird kneeling/squatting position but it seems to put pressure on my stomach and tums have become a nightly ritual.

Then after bath and story time, I am always freezing in the house. It's still quite warm in Florida these days and we set the air conditioning at 75 but I have to sleep with long pants, a long underwear long sleeved shirt and covers to keep warm. I don't know if it's all the extra blood volume at the surface of my skin or what, but brrrr... the winter is going to be rough if this doesn't let up.

My appetite has started to come back in full force and I seem hungry all the time. I've always needed to make sure I have food available for the inevitable blood sugar drop but it is so much more intense when I'm pregnant. Before bed I normally drink a glass of chocolate almond milk and that holds me over for the night... as well as solidifies the chances of me getting up to go to the bathroom within the first few hours of sleep. For now, I get up once a night on average but I'm sure that'll change as the baby starts getting bigger.




Week 12:

This week brought a lot more motivation and I'm so glad that the morning sickness and headaches have started to become less frequent and intense. The majority of my food aversions have also died down a lot which has made life so much easier. It is still tough cooking bacon for Blake but most other things are tolerable these days... I still hold my nose when I do dishes and open the trashcan for fear of setting my stomach off though. As far as cravings go, it has been more watery foods and hamburgers with pickles and tomato.

My belly seems SO much bigger this week and I really feel like I've popped already. There wasn't much more I could do to hide this belly. I can already feel the weight of the baby in there and have had a ton of stretching cramps/pains this week. It's interesting how much different I feel this time around but I'm welcoming more energy and so glad I get to nap with Blake when I need to. =)



I also had my second doctor's appointment and since the baby is too small to find with the Doppler, I had a second Ultrasound to make sure the baby was doing ok in there. Everything checked out great! The baby is growing at the rate it should be and the heartbeat is still about the same, at 159bpm. 





No comments:

Post a Comment