Friday, February 3, 2017

January {2017}

This month Brett:
  • carries around hard objects with him. He always has to have at least 2 objects (one for each hand) and prefers as many as he can hold. They can be straws, mallets, paintbrushes, unsharpened pencils, spoons, etc. 
  • wants to have at least 2 eating utensils for each meal. If he is eating something that requires a spoon, he has to have 2 or 3 spoons with him at the table. Usually while he's in the silverware drawer getting those, he decides he needs a fork too, and then requests a hot dog to eat (since that is the first thing he thinks of that you need a fork to eat). I always tell him that he's going to run out of silverware if he continues doing that and then proceeds with it anyway, and then inevitably gets mad when he wants a spoon and they're all gone.
  • decided that his favorite color is red. Orange is still a close second.
  • tells me that his food looks like shapes. When he's eating pretzels he'll normally tell me that it looks like a sailboat after he takes one bite. It's cute that he is using his imagination to figure out what his food looks like when it's half eaten.
  • makes tons of facial expressions. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree (me) in this case. One of his favorites lately is the angry face that he learned from his brother. He's also really good at the shy face when his face is down but his eyes look up.
  • takes things that he wants. Instead of asking, he'll just go right up to Blake and rip something out of his hand. A lot of times it is the Roku remote and a fight ensues with punching and crying.
  • says that the thing he is most looking forward to when he gets big is being able to drive a car.
This month Blake:
  • is having trouble finding something that interests him enough to keep his attention for more than a few minutes. He got snap circuits for Christmas and those are the one thing that he goes to when he's "bored" which is all the time. I'm so happy that he'll actually take the time to look at the diagram and recreate it with the real pieces! 
  • started sleeping in the same bed as Brett. He doesn't like to be alone when he goes to sleep and either does Brett, so we thought it would be a good time for them to try sleeping together. The first night it worked really well and they both had each other when they needed a snuggle throughout the night. Then the next night, reality set in, and things didn't go so well. By the end of the week, they were all under-slept and miserable so we abandoned that idea and we'll revisit it in a few months. I think the biggest problem was that their sleep timelines didn't line up all that well because Brett still takes a nap and isn't ready for bed at the same time Blake is (who doesn't nap but probably still should).
  • started a new daily schedule to give us motivation to get things done throughout the day. And also to try and force the tv addicts to entertain themselves. Blake is really responding well because he does like to learn new things and our morning "Learning Time" has been a big hit for him.
  • can write his first and last name. We joined Lifetime Fitness and they told him that once he can "sign" his name that he can get his own membership card so he's been working on it and now he can do it! 
  • registered for kindergarten in the fall. The registration packet decided to inform us that he will be in the graduating class of 2030 which is both cool and crazy to even think about. Our apartment complex goes to Kings Mills Elementary school so even though we are hoping to move into a home in the Mason school district we had to get him signed up for Kings Mills (which is a really good choice too) and he is already counting down the days until he gets to go. 
  • signed up to start preschool 2 days a week in February at Lakeview Preschool in Maineville. There aren't many places left with openings for this year, but we're excited to have found one that takes food allergies seriously. Hopefully having school on Tuesday and Thursday mornings will be something exciting for him to look forward to until we make it to the warmer months.
  • has shown a dramatic improvement in his eczema. We don't really know what change has brought it about, but we're so excited to say that we haven't had to use steroid creams in weeks. In fact, I don't think we've used Class 4 since December. We've had 1 or 2 times where he needed a little OTC in the middle of the night, but it is amazing to not have to worry about him itching all the time! The skin on his legs is so smooth and soft and it has been forever since I could say that. We were up to using Class 4, 2-3 days in a row just about every week.
  • started up with swimming lessons again. He goes once a week for 30 mins with 1-3 other little boys and he's doing well. He's mainly been getting used to the water again but last week his teacher helped him put his face under finally (caught him off guard). After he recovered from the shock of it he decided that it wasn't too bad and I can tell he wants to do it again but he's still hesitant. I think we're finally making progress and I hope he gets the hang of it soon!
In other news, I got to start taking a Dance Jam class at Lifetime Fitness on Wednesday nights and I'm having a blast! Not only is it wonderful to start getting exercise again, it's fun to take a class with such good energy and get back to my dancing roots. It's also really nice to get a little "me" time since it's been so long. It was really hard at first and I thought I was going to die after 12 minutes of the hour long class. After my 3rd and 4th classes, I always wish it could be longer!

I expected the winters here to be rough, but luckily we've had a couple warm spells and were able to get outside for some fresh air for a few days at least. I've been pleasantly surprised with the winter but I do hope we get enough snow to put our new toboggan and snow disk to good use.

We also got a chance to drive over to West Virginia for a Gessner family reunion (mostly). My mom, and brother and sister and their families all drove up to my sister-in-law's ski house at Timberline Resort. We were able to get the 6 boy cousins together and they had a great time despite it raining the whole time we were there. It was about 6 hours of driving each way (plus stops) which is so much better than it would've been from Florida! I'm so glad we're within driving distance of a lot of our family now.

Pics:
Our Christmas cards were so nice to have on our wall for the holidays. 
It was wonderful seeing all the smiling faces of our family and friends!


I finally made a winter wreath that I like!


Getting a pick of the boys at the ski house was a mess. Poor Everette was just ready for a nap.


Our first gelatin experience. Neither boy liked the cherry flavor they picked out. I can't say I blame them since it was ridiculously sweet. They were a good color for Valentine shapes though and a good time was had by all.



Always very focused.


Brett smiled the whole time.


My first attempt at getting a picture of a snowflake. I'll have to try again sine these were kinda blurry.


It's amazing how much detail they actually have though.


Videos:










No comments:

Post a Comment